Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Tangled Transformation: Halloween and MNSSHP 2014


Hey all,

So this year I decided to transform myself into Rapunzel for Halloween! I had been planning on doing this for a longggg time. Like since the Spring. What can I say? I love Halloween ;). The whole costume was < $30. So I thought the answer to getting Rapunzel long hair was simple: a wig! Well, wigs are annoying. And itchy. And it didn't match my eyebrows at all. So I created a home-made weave/clip in extension. Here's how it worked:

I took the wig I bought off Oriental Trading (5 feet for $13) and cut off the head piece (about 1 foot) and cut about a foot off of the bottom because it was way too much to work with (I know now how Rapunzel felt). I put it in a pony tail holder and then hot glued around it. I hot glued a big barette clip and a small barette clip to the back of the hair on the top part. TIP: Make sure you hold the hair tightly when you cut it and play with it, otherwise it will come out of the pony tail holder easily. I then hot glued some of the hair on the top of the barette so it wouldn't show through and separated the hair into 3 sections so it would be easier to braid. I cliped the "extension" into the back part of my hair and put another tightly wrapped pony tail holder in to secure it (it held my hair and the "extension" below the barette). I braided my own hair partially first and then after about two "rounds" I added my hair to the three separated parts of the "extension" and had them join the already started briad. I thnk it came out great! I wish I would've had more flowers, but overall loved it.

The costume was all due to my Grandma, we took a cheap Walmart purple sundress, and a purple goodwill shirt and combined them to make the costume! The lace and pink ribbon was bought with a coupon at JoAnn Fabrics. Probably a total of $10. I wanted something short because of the Florida heat. Pascal was purchased for $6 on ebay and handstitched by me onto my shoulder.

Madi's costume was easy. I already had a satchel looking bag. We bought "boot covers" off of Oriental Trading on sale for $10, and a navy t-shirt for $2 at Michaels. I cut the shirt down the middle and cut off the sleeves. Then I made the sleeves into the collar using a paper bag underneath to make it sturdier. He then wore khaki pants and a long sleeve white oxford shirt.

There you have it! A Tangled Couple :)! It was so much fun and I loved the way it turned out! We wore them for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and also for our own Halloween Party.

Happy Halloween!
Olivia :)


No comments:

Post a Comment