Saturday, October 18, 2014

My Random Addictions: Loving Movies that Critics Hate

Hey all,

So I just saw the new movie The Best of Me last night. Wow. I LOVED it. Then I went online to look at  the ratings, and the critics gave it a 7%. SEVEN out of one hundred. What?!  That is when I decided that I love movies that critics hate. Not every movie they hate, but a lot of movies I love they hate. Also they rate them on ridiculous things. For example Bill Zwecker from the Chicago Sun Times wrote "We've seen this story told in similar fashion so many times in the past. I only wish we could have had it delivered in a fresher, less cliché-filled package." Um okay #1, it's a Nicholas Sparks book. It's about romance and drama, so yeah some concepts are similar to other Nicholas Sparks book, but what the heck were you expecting? Something TOTALLY out of the blue like a Transformer coming out of the sky? I'm sorry I don't see what you were looking for. No it wasn't 100% to the book. Some things could've been added, but I loved it. And cried. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm a typical overemotional white girl but whatevs. #basiclifeisthelifeforme. They also gave A Walk to Remember a 27%. Like really?

Another example of a movie I LOVE but they hate is A Cinderella Story. Literally one of my top ten favorites. Clearly made for tweens in the early 2000's, but has a great message and is the best rendition of a modern day Cinderella to this day. They gave it an 11%. I can't. Yep, can't even. If you haven't seen A Cinderlla Story ask yourself: are you a girl? No? I don't blame you. Yes? What are you waiting for?! Seattle Times said "Duff is cute and chirpy; Murray is cute and bland, and the stepsisters squabble a lot. Ho-hum."...K?

Now let me get into a movie almost everyone I've talked to loved. The Amazing Spiderman 2, for example. SO GOOD. Critics? 53% rotten. WHAT?! If you loved the first one, how could you not love the second? One reviewer "Okay, I don't want to hang the failure of this mega-budget sequel on a single actor. It truly was a team effort. But, Garfield looks most unattractive as the webbed wonder." LOL now I know you're crazy.

Lastly to make my point super clear. She's the Man. If you are either gender and haven't laughed while watching this movie, you're literally weird. Like belong in a psych ward. Where Amanda now is or should be God bless her now-crazy soul. She's the Man is literally one of the funniest movies ever. Not disgusting humor, which I am also occasionally fond of, but just genuinely funny. And Channing Tatum? Who wouldn't want to watch him play soccer shirtless for three hours? 


So I could go on and on, but there it is! I love movies critics hate. What about you? Do you tend to run with the critics or are you more like me and like the opposite most of the time?

Thanks for reading,
Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment