Sunday, November 1, 2015

Fall Adventures: Durham, NC

Hello fellow bloggers!

Ahh, fall is in the air. This is my absolute FAVORITE time of year. It is also one of the reasons Madi was able to convince me to move to North Carolina. This year I get to live in the beautiful fall weather as a resident of the Carolinas and I am so excited that we have gotten to do some fun fall activities.

The second week of October my mom came to visit Madi and I, which was convenient timing because Madi was participating in Duke's graduate school camp-out for season basketball tickets (he won by the way ;) ). I got to spend some good time with my mom and although I didn't get to go apple picking due to my fractured radius, we did get to do some shopping for fall clothes! It was beautiful weather here: sixty five and sunny for the most part with some rain on Saturday while we shopped away. We also went to go see the movie The Intern, which if you haven't seen it yet: GO SEE IT! It was so good and again I think super under-rated as it did well in the box office but not as good as Hotel Transylvania 2... interesting. Robert De Niro and Anne Hathaway did AMAZING together. I thought they made such a great team and the movie really gave a good message. Although we didn't do as much as I had originally anticipated I was happy to relax a little after my first full week back at work (5 days of 8 on days can be rough when  you are used to 3 days of 12 on night shift!).

The third week in October Madi's sister and one of my best friends, Sondra came to visit! We were able to do some more actual fall activities around the area which made me super excited. We went to a local farm called McKee's and got to walk a corn maze, ride a hay ride, pick out a pumpkin, and see adorable animals! That night we got to get crazie as Cameron Crazies at Countdown to Crazy! It was so unreal to be in a packed stadium of Blue Devil fans and watch the 2015 Championship banner be unveiled for the first time! Way too cool!

The fourth week in October was more low-key again since Madi had an exam week the following week, but I was able to participate in the Light the Night for Leukemia walk with some of my co-workers in RadOnc! It is always so surreal to see the survivors, supporters, and friends all walking together for a cause! I also got to finally carve my pumpkin and I am very proud of it! Of course it had to be Disney themed ;). Tinkerbell was the winning vote from Madi since Peter Pan is his favorite Disney movie.

The fifth week in October we got back into Duke athletics with the opening game against none other than Florida Southern! Which is hilarious because we watched Florida Southern play last year right before winning the D2 national championship so it was cool to see two teams we love play each other. Madi's parents both attended Florida Southern, that is where they met, so Madi has always had a strong connection to the college and has grown up watching their basketball team expand. We spent Halloween at home since I was still recovering from my cold from the previous week. We did get the chance to get out to the tobacco trail again with the gorgeous leaves for a quick mile and a half walk with Nike!

Although we didn't have our annual Halloween party or get all dressed up in a new and creative outfit this year, I loved being in the fall atmosphere and look forward to what November brings as the weather cools down more. I can't believe Thanksgiving isn't too far away and Christmas is officially in the midst! I have some fun holiday DIY crafts and baking I am excited to try for the winter season, so stay tuned for that! Any suggestions for more fun fall activities that we can do while we still have a few weeks left? I would love to hear!
Thanks for keeping up,
- Olivia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment