Thursday, November 5, 2015

#BookWorm: Dear Daughter

Hello fellow readers!

I finally ventured from the world of Young Adult reading back into the more adult world with the book Dear Daughter by Elizabeth Little. Another book I found thanks to Amazon's Recommended Reads section when I was looking at books similar to Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. This book is about a girl named Jane Jenkins who was convicted for the murder of her mother when she was seventeen. She gets released from prison because the forensics department in California was charged with falsifying evidence, and she is trying to figure out if she actually killed her mother. Her memory of what happened went blank about a few hours before the time of the murder until she called the police to report the murder. The plot of this book is super interesting and overall I REALLY liked this book. At first I was turned off by the intense language and grotesque descriptions of the murder, but it actually wasn't quite as offensive throughout the book unlike Gone Girl which literally was so gross the whole book it made me like it a little less. I'm all for making the characters personality come out, but sometimes it makes me wonder if the author is a really good writer or if they truly have issues too. However this was not the case with Dear Daughter

If you loved any of Gillian Flynn's books, you will love this book. If you didn't like Gillian Flynn's books due to language but like the mystery/thriller/who-dunnit appeal of books, you probably will enjoy this one. Overall rating, I would say 9/10. Yep, it's that good. I love when books answer all of your questions and connect dots you may have forgotten about in the middle of the book. It makes me happy as a person who hates unsolved mysteries and unanswered questions. Up next on my list are the final two books of The Testing series: Independent Study and Graduation Day. My list continues to grow as I keep getting suggestions from not only Amazon, but fellow readers. Seriously I LOVE hearing recommended reads from people so don't hesitate to share with me! 

If  you haven't noticed by now, I added a section to DHTBB at the top of my page called My List of Books which has a list of every book I've ever reviewed on DHTBB listed by genre as well as which I recommend by using a * and New York Times Bestsellers with the abbreviation NYT next to it. I also put the list of books I am wanting to read. I update each list every time I review a book! If you are looking for a recommended read, check out that list. If you have read everything I recommend or that interests you already on that list, message me! I love when people come to me for book advice :). So have you read this book Dear Daughter? Any thoughts? I want to hear! Share with me!!

Thanks for reading with me,
- Olivia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment