Friday, November 27, 2015

#BookWorm: Room

Hello fellow readers,

I recently finished reading the book Room by Emma Donoghue. In 2010 I remember my mom telling me about this book, but the cover was super unappealing so I didn't want to read it. Seriously, never judge a book by it's cover. This book is great, however there were somethings that disappointed me, which I will get to later. The book is from 5 year old Jack's perspective who is the product of his mother's kidnapper and rapist. They are confined to an eleven by eleven room and Jack has never seen the outside world. His Ma has always told him that there is nothing outside so that he does not get confused as to why they are kept in the room. It truly is a fascinating story that draws you in, and the fact that it is from Jack's perspective instead of Ma's is a whole new twist.

The reason I was disappointed when I read this story was that I had heard from a number of people that it was based on a true story. IT'S NOT! Not an ounce of it is based on actual events or people. Which is a good thing, but is also kind of disappointing when you are reading this incredible story thinking it is real then find out it isn't. I have read numerous places that this story was confused with the Jaycee Dugard story, which is strangely similar (even the concept of it). Emma Donoghue claims that she wrote the entire story before Jaycee was found, and therefore could have had no idea but that it was a sad coincidence. It is kind of odd though, and eerie, some of the similarities between the two stories. Overall I would give it a 9/10. I really enjoyed it, even as a work of fiction. I actually finished it in less than a week while working full time and overtime hours!

So have you read Room? Or are you planning on seeing the movie? I am curious and want to see the differences between the book and movie as there usually are many. I'm also pretty intrigued because the movie is rated R, so I am wondering how graphic it will be. Next up is The Story of Everything by Robyn Schneider. I am thoroughly enjoying checking these books off of my list and have really loved people's suggestions, so thank you for letting me know about books you loved and think I would enjoy!

Thanks for reading with me,
- Olivia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment