Sunday, December 6, 2015

Book Worm: The Beginning of Everything

Hello fellow readers,

I just got done reading the YA book The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider. This book is about a boy named Ezra who had it all going for him: popular, star athlete, good looking. But everything takes a turn when he gets in a car accident that makes him unable to play sports anymore. He is ostracized from his friends and goes through a period of depression. Then he meets Cassidy Thorpe who turns his world upside down. However, Ezra feels like she isn't telling him her whole story. 

So this book was an interesting read. It took me a while to finish it due to Thanksgiving festivities, however it would regularly be a quick book to get through. The idea of a woman writing a teenage male perspective is always interesting to me, but she did it well. The writing was good, the characters intriguing. Also the plot stays interesting and although I did not care for the ending, I still think people who like YA books would enjoy it. If you have ever read It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini, this book has similar qualities, but isn't quite so weird. And if I didn't include it in my review for that book, Ned Vizzini actually ended up committing suicide. Super depressing. Overall rating: 8/10. Interesting, but not INCREDIBLE.

Have you read this book before? If so let's chat, I want to hear from others on whether or not they liked it. Next on the top of my stack, I've cracked open Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews. I am interested in this partly due to the movie that I have heard about and partly because for some reason I just love YA books even though I'm in my twenties now. I have a huge stack of library books on my bedside table (thanks Durham County Library) and a huge stack from Florida (thanks mom!) that I will be getting to, but if you have any other books to recommend let me know! Looking forward to the holiday season and reading by the tree!

Thanks for reading with me,
- Olivia Franek

No comments:

Post a Comment