Wednesday, January 29, 2014

My Random Addictions: Books That Go to the Movies

Hello everyone,

For anyone who knows me, the topic of this post is obvious. I am obsessed with books. Recently I read a blog about 16 Books to Read Before They Hit Theatres This Year and it made me feel two things: excited and sad. Excited, because some of my favorite books are coming to the movies this year and sad because I don't have much time to read a lot of them! I have always been "that girl" who has to read the book before I see the movie and that is because to be honest ninety percent of the time, the books say it better. A lot of people who don't take part in this practice have told me they feel reading the book beforehand gives away too much, and then you know what happens in the movie. I can see where they get that from, but from my personal experiences it makes the movie so much more exciting! However I do love taking Madi to movies where I know what is going to happen and watching his facial reactions and surprise (i.e. The Hunger Games series). On the opposite end, some people love books and don't see the movie because it does ruins their vision of it so there are multiple views.

Since I am in school, it is REALLY hard to find time to read, but I have tried to have some "me" time (which is next to impossible while working two jobs, planning a wedding, volunteering, and being a full time nursing student but I try). Right now, I am in the middle of the Divergent series and yes I totally jumped on the bandwagon with this one. I was unsure about reading it when it first became popular in the reading world about a year and a half ago because I was so obsessed with The Hunger Games before the bandwagoning (is that a word?) happened and I didn't think I could love another similar series. After hearing how awesome it was from so many people, I joined in and read the first book in two days over Christmas break. I'm almost done with Insurgent and LOVE the series, like as much as The Hunger Games. Although I am disappointed with them casting Shailene Woodley for Tris, I hope it will make me like her more and not ruin the movie for me. Which brings me to my next point.

Do you ever envision a movie a certain way and then go to see it and it is totally different than you pictured? Or the people they cast don't fit your idea of the character? That is one of my least favorite parts about books being made into movies. It is honestly an internal battle. I love the book so much that I want to see it in the movies, but I don't want to be disappointed if it doesn't fit my view. Most of the time I am pleasantly surprised. For example Harry Potter always made me in awe of what people who work in the movies can do to bring a story to life, but other books I have been disappointed. There are also some of my favorite books like Nineteen Minutes (my all-time fav), The Pact, The Truth About Forever that haven't been made into movies and I'm over here like hello! what the heck world?! If every Nicholas Sparks book can be made into a movie, so should these. Don't get me wrong I LOVE Nicholas Sparks books, but does anyone else feel this way? Crazy.

Anyways, if you haven't read the link above about the movies that are coming out this year that are also books, you should! There are a lot that I am interested in reading and want to do so before the movie comes out. (The Giver, just sayin' ;) ) Also if you love watching books that become movies and are looking for a good series, definitely read the Divergent series.

Thanks for keeping up with me,
-Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment