Sunday, June 9, 2013

DIY: Map Heart Decor

Hello fellow bloggers!

Today I spent my 20th birthday picking up craft supplies for my projects this summer! I figured I would show you what I came up with and how to make it. I am getting ready to move in July, and in our new apartment I want to do the guest room/study room a travel theme! One of the ideas I saw was a map heart decor piece. This project is pretty simple and something I saw on Pinterest, but I gave it my own touch. The whole project costs less than $25.

First what you need are maps of the states which are special to you. You can find these on Google. Then I inserted them into Word and put a heart shape around the part of the state which I liked most.


TIP: Make sure that the hearts are the same size. Use the copy and paste feature to ensure the hearts turn out the same.

Second I printed out the pictures on white cardstock paper, which costs about $0.69/page but is on sale now at Michael's 6/$1,  and cut out the heart shapes. I used about 2 pages. I chose to do four states at first, but it didn't fill the frame I had so I choose two more so there would be three in each frame. I chose to do North Carolina, Michigan, Tennesee/Georgia, New York, Illinois, and of course Florida.




Last I put them in see through frames. These frames are 8x10 and cost around $10 each. On Pinterest I saw them in a frame with a solid white background which looked good, but I really liked the way this turned out with the double glass. What do you think? Not too shabby for a rainy afternoon project! All together the project would cost around $22. Luckily I already had the frames and paper. But if you go to http://weeklyad.michaels.com/coupons/ they usually have 40-50% off coupons and sometimes an extra 25% off all sale and regular priced! I plan on doing more DIY blog posts once I start working on the room some more. I ordered a map today to make my own cork board map with pins. Hopefully the room comes together nicely and I will post pictures once we get it all together in the fall. If you decide to do the project I would love to see how yours turns out!




That's all for now! Thanks for reading!

-Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment