Friday, June 14, 2013

DIY: Chicken Fried Rice

Hello everyone!

I am super excited to share with you a DIY chicken fried recipe I concocted today! I got a cookbook for Christmas that I LOVE LOVE LOVE. It is the Better Homes New Cook Book 15th Edition. But there are some things in this recipe that I did not follow, so I created my own version! Every chicken fried rice recipe is pretty similar, but I thought I would share mine for those who are on a budget and don't have a lot of random spices and oils sitting around their house.

Here's what you need!

2 cups of dry white rice
2 Tablespoons and 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
1 Tablespoon of canola oil
1/4 of a white onion
4 baby carrots
1/2 of a yellow squash
2 oz. of frozen chicken
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg

Cooking Time: about 30 minutes

First I cooked the white rice in a pot with the cover on for five minutes as the directions on the package are shown.

Next I cut up my vegetables into small, thin pieces.


After that I beat the two eggs and added a teaspoon of soy sauce to the beaten eggs. I then scrambled the eggs in a small frying pan. I used two eggs, but it was WAY too much for my taste and I ended up throwing more than half away, so next time I plan on using one.


TIP: Make sure you use non-stick spray first. This was the first time I had ever made scrambled eggs (not kidding, I'm not a big egg person) and so I forgot that step. Hence why my frying pan looks like something died on it.

Fourth I added one tablespoon of canola oil into a pan and added the cut up vegetables. I stirred them every twenty seconds or so and cooked them for a total of two minutes. I then added my rice into the pan and poured two tablespoons of soy sauce on top. I stirred in the soy sauce, while mixing the vegetables and rice combination together. Next I put the chicken on the side of the pan, where the rice and vegetables were not, and I let it all cook for four minutes. 

TIP: Canola oil can also be substituted with olive oil, but both are a healthy alternative to the usual vegetable oil or butter that many people and restaurants use for chicken fried rice. I couldn't even tell the difference!


Then I added the scrambled egg to the mix and continued to cook it all for two more minutes on low. Last I added the teaspoon of salt over the entire mixture and let it all sit in the hot pan for a minute. Wal-ah! There you have it! It was so simple and took less than 30 minutes in total. There was enough for two full meals, so dinner for two or some for today, some for tomorrow! I hope you try it! If you do, let me know how it turns out. I was shockingly surprised that mine turned out as good as it did, and I look forward to trying more recipes in the future.


Thanks for reading and happy cooking!

- Olivia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment