Wednesday, June 12, 2013

College Life

Hello all,

When I was home this past weekend my brother was talking about what colleges he is applying to and why he wants to go to them. Many students and parents have asked me lately why I chose USF over other schools like UCF, FSU, or FGCU and so I thought I would share five reasons why I love wearing green and gold!


5. Dorms

While some USF dorms aren't amazing, my freshman dorm, Juniper-Poplar, was super nice. It was only a year old when I moved in, but felt brand new. People came to clean the bathroom (such a nice plus compared to apartment style dorms) and there was a laundry room downstairs that you could walk to in your pajamas. The food in JP was way better than any food on campus (now they have champions which is better and healthier). Also if you are considering USF and wondering which side of campus to live on, pick JP or Magnolia apartments. The other side of campus has more parties, but even if you like to party (which I didn't) it's nice to be able to sleep in peace the nights you don't feel like going out or are sick. The Magnolia apartments I lived in were not worth the money but it was nice having a kitchen and being able to walk on campus for sure. Even though right now it is a rule at USF that all freshman have to spend on year on campus, wherever you choose try to live on campus for a year if you can afford it. It helps you make friends and helps you get to know the campus more and be more involved.




4. Campus

If you haven't been to USF's Tampa campus, go! It is gorgeous. I love the buildings and the grounds. I honestly think USF has the most beautiful campus out of all the Florida schools I have been to ( but clearly I am biased ). The campus is spread out, and so getting from one end to the other on foot takes about fifteen to twenty minutes but it is always a beautiful walk! My favorite spot would the near the fountains outside of MLK plaza. Our student center is the best that I have ever been to. If you get the chance, explore all of the floors. There are study rooms, couches everywhere, computers to use, a food court (Chick-fil-a, Subway, Moes, Papa John's, Panda Express, Jamba Juice, and Einstein's Bagel), and a place where you can print up to 22 pages black and white for free each day! Such a life saver when you forget to print a paper and a money saver if you don't want to buy a printer yourself! There are so many study spots on campus that are quite besides our awesome library. The psychology building has my favorite spot, but there are many more!




3. Sports

Many people pick their college based off their love for the sports team. For obvious reasons, you don't pick USF because their teams rock. But there are a lot of pluses to that also. The Sun Dome is so much fun during basketball season and with the new renovations is a lot better for students! There is a student lounge and better student section now. Many people hate that our football stadium is shared with the Tampa Bay Bucs but I love it. If you want to go to a game yes you have to drive and pay for parking, but ITS FREE for your ticket. It also saves all the traffic jams around campus on game day wheras with schools like UF parking is always ridic on game day and getting anywhere in Gainesville is impossible two hours before until two hours after the game. Our soccer teams are also so much fun to watch! In the fall, soccer is always the first event we go to typically and the atmosphere is awesome. I've heard great things about our baseball team too, but have yet to attend a game.




2. Free Events and Activities

USF hosts so many free events for students, it's crazy. Twice a year they have free concerts. Once for homecoming and once for Bullstock. Homecoming is usually rap and Bullstock is a mix of alternative and rock bands. Since my freshman year I have seen 3oh!3, Jack's Mannequin, Twenty One Pilots, Owl City, Hot Chelle Ray, All American Rejects, Cobra Starship, all For FREE. As a concert lover, it rocks. Literally. They also have Movies on the Lawn, where they show recent movies for free and give free popcorn and free drinks. FREE. I've seen Breaking Dawn, Hunger Games, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 there and its a fun place to go with friends to watch a movie on the big screen. Intramural sports are something that Madison has loved and it is a great way to get to know people. Also free. Oh and our gym (ranked number eight in America I've heard) is AMAZING. It was renovated after my freshman year, and once again is free to every USF student. I love love love our gym. Free fitness classes, brand new equipment, racquetball, basketball, and track. Love it.




1. Academics
Oh duh, the important part. For me, I knew I wanted to go into the medical field and I cannot say enough good things about USF's College of Nursing. Straight from the USF website : "USF’s College of Nursing ranks #1 in Florida and 24th among nursing schools nationwide to receive research funding from National Institutes of Health (NIH) in FY2012." It is so dang cool to be a part of that. They have given me such a good foundation and honestly prepared me to be out in the real world. As far as other colleges within USF, I have heard awesome things about the College of Business and Education. USF is also super involved in research which looks great on any person's resume.




I have had the best experience at USF and I am super sad, but proud, to say that I will be graduating next year. I hope that anyone who chooses USF makes the best of every experience and gets involved with something, because that is the only way to have fun!

Thanks for reading,
- Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment