Monday, October 29, 2012

Everyone Deserves A Lifetime: The 3-Day, Day Three

Yay we finished!

The last day was the easiest as far as walking, because we did not have to technically walk 20 miles on the route. Our walking in camp and at the pit stops added up so that we go surprised and only did 15.3 on the route the last day! (praise Jesus for real) This was the best surprise ever. We woke up early at 6:15AM and packed up our tent and got breakfast. We had an awesome dinner the night before by the way of some grilled chicken for Madison. They also announced at dinner before that the oldest walked was 76! I was inspired so much by that it amazed me. I'm getting super off topic so back to the story; As usual we walked really far and were exhausted. We had left at about 7:40AM When we came to the 58.9 mile marker I started to feel my knee giving out. I have a torn meniscus in both knees but got cleared to walk. It was horrible. I stopped at the medical tent and the RN told me she thought I had a torn ACL based on my pain levels when she moved around my leg. She told me I should be bused to the finish line. I refused! How could I get bused when I was so close to the end! I didn't come the whole way for nothing. I signed a consent to finish and had her wrap my knee and hobbled to the finish line, which we found out later was not really the finish line at 1:30PM. We waited for everyone to finish before crossing the official finish line, which was pretty far away from the pretend line by the way! We enjoyed closing ceremony where I, as usual, cried when they talked about the survivors and people who have passed. They mentioned that 99% of breast cancer cases are now caught before death which is astonishing! In honor or survivors who walked we held up one shoe (picture below) and cheered them on. It was incredible and such a great experience over all. Even though people still have the disease I feel like the 3-day makes people aware by saying "wow why would you walk 60 miles?" or "hmm maybe I should go get a mammogram" it is such an amazing event and anyone who wants to participate should put it on their bucket list because you CAN do it, I mean we did. Yes, Madison is super fit, but hey I did it and  that is amazing! Afterwards we went to the USF Telefund and talked to some of the people who sponsored us and told them about the race and enjoyed an awesome Carrabba's dinner (as promised ;) ) Thank you all so much for supporting us through this journey and encouraging us along the way! We really appreciate it! I will upload the videos when I get a chance because they are on Madison's phone not mine!


 





No comments:

Post a Comment