Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Hello fellow bloggers,

First official post woohoo! I wanted to start this blog off with a topic that has been on my mind pretty much non-stop since I started getting really into music back in two thousand and seven: alternative bands. So many people claim they love alternative and hate "mainstream" music, yet they can't name a single non mainstream song. This most likely is because they haven't been exposed to real alternative music, or anything that isn't played on the radio. I remember the first time I heard a song by Mayday Parade my freshman year with my still best friend Gretchen. The song "When I Get Home You're So Dead" from Mayday Parade's album A Lesson in Romantics changed the way I saw music. No longer was I strapped to the constantly repeating playlist of our local radio station, I was able to open up and branch out to new music. From Mayday Parade I was able to find bands like Go Radio, Owl City, Cute Is What We Aim For, The Maine, All Time Low, Hey Monday, Metro Station, Neon Trees, Jack's Mannequin, and 3oh!3 before they were even well known to the general public and got put on that list of horrendous replays that occurs on pretty much every nearby radio station. Now, I am not hating on mainstream music at all because anyone who knows me knows that I love a good Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, or Nicki Minaj playlist anyday ;) but what I am saying is have you ever branched out and looked at other types of music out there? If not I encourage you to look up any of the bands I listed, I promise you will fall in love with more than one of them like I did. And on the other side of that when you find an artist you like (even if it is Justin Bieber) try looking at their old music and new music, not just what is on the radio. I was pleasantly surprised with Justin Bieber's new album Believe that came out not too long ago. "Right Here" feat. Drake is one of my new favorite songs! Taylor Swift's new album Red came out Monday and I have not heard it personally but only hear good things about it, which doesn't surprise me since her last album Speak Now is pretty much one of the best albums I have ever heard. If you get the chance I highly recommend Mayday Parade's self entitled album (which is also their newest one). It only took me two weeks to memorize every song that's on it. I would love to hear anyone's opinion on favorite artists (I am always up to give anyone a try), mainstream vs. not opinions, or just anything else you feel like saying. One rule: don't hit the backspace button!

Until next time,

-Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment