Monday, March 27, 2017

#BookWorm: Thirteen Reasons Why

Hello fellow readers!

I've finally gotten back to my normal way of life: reading a book in less than five days. LOVE IT! This extra free time thing/not studying for my test is one of the best feelings ever. The most recent read I checked off of my list was Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. I have mixed feelings about this book, because I feel like it can be taken two ways. It's about a girl named Hannah Baker who committed suicide. Hannah leaves tapes about the thirteen reasons why, or the thirteen people she considers responsible for her suicide and has all thirteen of them listen to each person's reason. This book has its moments of "typical teenage drama" and also has some really intense moments. It is a page turner and keeps you guessing the whole time. I was dying to know who was next on the list and why. So from that aspect, it was a great read.

However... this book is pretty dark. What worries me is that teenagers who read this will think that these things that happen to Hannah are an excuse to commit suicide. They're not. To be honest, a lot of the things she mentions are things that happen to most teenage girls throughout their time in middle or high school. So if everyone thought like Hannah Baker, they all would be dead. That really bothers me. High school is literally defined as mellow dramatic, so this book captures that perfectly. Except this book also captures the main character as killing herself over it. So that is what I didn't like. You can take this book as 1) a scary reality of high school that makes people think about how they treat others or 2) a scary reality of high school that girls and guys can think that life is not worth living if bad things happen to them. Two VERY different scenarios here guys. Life is what you make it I suppose (so let's make it rock ;) sorry couldn't help myself). But on the serious side, if you have been having suicidal thoughts or feel like you are depressed GET HELP. And if you are suspicious that someone may need help, TALK TO THEM. You literally could save a life.

Anywaysssssssss. Rating? 8/10. Very good but the topic is a hard one for me as people I'm very close to have attempted suicide or dealt with severe depression. I'm a little behind on the party train for this book because it came out in 2007 and TBH the only reason I know about it now is because 1) someone suggested it to me a while ago and 2) Selena Gomez is making it into a Netflix mini-series. Go Netflix for picking up these awesome books! If you have not watched the Series of Unfortunate Events series on Netflix DO IT. But first read the books if you haven't done that because they are bomb, and literally one of the few books that Madi read as a kid. Loving these YA books though. Always so good and honestly love them even more than regular adult fiction most of the time. BTW for you YA lovers: Sarah Dessen's new book comes out right around my birthday!! June 6th! (Actually my Grandma's birthday that day, love you Grandma!) so be on the look out for that one! CAN'T WAIT!

March has been such a wild ride for the Franek family, in mostly good ways, so I'll be updating on our life adventures soon. I actually finished this book like two weeks ago, and am now just getting around to posting about it. Whoops!

Thanks for reading with me,
- Olivia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment