Sunday, June 19, 2016

#BookWorm: I Was Here

Hello fellow readers!

My latest read was a book called I Was Here by Gayle Forman, the author of the well known book If I Stay. I loved the If I Stay and Where She Went books and so I wanted to give Forman's other book a try. I Was Here is about a girl named Cody who's best friend Meg just committed suicide. Cody did not see this coming, and goes on a mission to discover why she committed suicide. She finds breathtaking information along the way and discovers that Meg might have not been alone in this decision of her death. Cody also meets Ben, a wannabe rock star with striking good looks who was Megs last hookup before she died and has him help her uncover what exactly happened to her best friend.

This book was filled with a lot of emotions about suicide, so if you aren't comfortable with the topic don't read it. It explores different opinions about suicide through each character and can be kind of graphic at times. Not so much that it makes it disgusting to read, but makes you really think about what people really go through in their final moments of death when committing suicide. It also had a lot more curse words in it than I had expected, even though they did fit the subject and flowed well with the dialog. The characters were relate-able, I liked Cody's character and Ben grew on me. The book was somewhat predictable, you could kind of see what was coming mid way through, but it was still a decent read. It kept my interest and was easy to follow for the most part. The rating that I would give, probably a 7/10. Not as good as If I Stay or Where She Went, but not terrible either. If you are looking for a quick and easy read, pick this up from your library or book store and you will get just that.

I went to the library and browsed through the books, which is a great relaxer for me, and picked out a new stack of books to get through in the next month or so. There's quite a few that I can't wait to crack open including The Orphan Train. Anyways, so has anyone else read I Was Here? How do you think it compares to Forman's others? Sub-par like myself? Let me know what you love reading so I can add to my list!

Thanks for reading with me,
- Olivia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment