Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Wifey Wednesday: Popping the Question to Your Girls

Hey everyone!

Happy Wednesday! Halfway through the week :)! This week I wanted to share how I asked my closest friends to be my bridesmaids! We got engaged over a year and a half before our wedding, 19 months to be exact, and so we wanted our bridesmaids to know we wanted them at our big day ahead of time! Especially since almost half of our bridal party was from out of state. The day we got engaged, I called my friends and told them that we were getting married and that we wanted them to be apart of our day, but I still wanted to officially "pop the question" to my girls. I made boxes for each one of them with their name on the front and the question on the inside. Here's how I did it!

What you'll need
- Wooden Cigar Box
- White Paint
- Wedding Color Paint
- Black Paint
- Paint Brushes and Sponge Brush

Step One: Paint the cigar box white with 2-3 coats (or whatever color you want) and let dry over night

Step Two: Cut out a design of your choice where eventually your words will go and trace around it in the lid of the box

Step Three: Paint the outside portion your primary wedding color two coats and let dry over night

Step Four: Paint the inside with your question and the outside with the names. You can do this by using transfer paper or projecting the words with a projector and painting over them. If you're a boss like my mom, you can freehand. Which is what she did. (Thanks Mom!)

And that's it! I also added a little bit of information about each girl and how I met them into the box as well as information about our day. Another thing I did was add a paint swatch of the color we wanted to be our primary color. And finally I added pearl necklaces and earrings for them to wear on the big day. They turned out adorable! And no one forgot their jewelry on the big day either ;). Of course I got this idea from Pinterest, but tweaked it to make it personal and my own!

TIP: Make sure you confirm with everyone that they are willing and able to be a part of your big day. Someone could have the best intentions, but may be scared to tell you that they can't make it or can't afford it. Have the realistic conversation about money early. Things add up. Dresses, bachelorette party, bridal shower, wedding weekend. It's a lot, and if you have the conversation early you will avoid problems later. Let your bridesmaids know you want them there on your day and to talk to you about any issues so you can figure them out way in advance. It happens a lot that people drop out of weddings way after you ask them because  they are  too scared to talk about it when all the excitement is happening, it happened to us with a girl and a guy! Just prepare yourself in advance that some people might not be able to commit to the time and/or expense of your day.

So how did you pop the question to your bridesmaids? Have you seen other super cute ideas? Share them, I would love to hear!

Thanks for reading!
- Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment