Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Wifey Wednesday: DIY Save the Dates

Hey everyone!

So I am very excited to share with you all my Save the Dates and how I put them together. For those of you personally attending the wedding, you have already seen them or will be seeing them in the mail very soon! I wanted to show you what I did and how you can add simple touches to make your Save the Dates more personal. The front and back of my Save the Dates are on the right. The scoreboard and basketball theme was the one thing Madi wanted to do, so I went with his wishes. When we took our engagement pictures, our orignal plan was to do a bunch with the basketball, but due to lighting, and Madi forgetting the ball at home for the second half of pictures, we only had two pictures that looked normal with the basketball, but our faces looked super bright so we came up with this design on the right.
In order to make the scoreboard with the date we wanted it was a little more complicated than I had anticipated. I thought there would be a fake scoreboard generator, but no such luck. (If you know of one let me know!) So I googled scoreboards and found a website with the grey background and had to copy and paste the same color numbers into Paint to create the scoreboard with our actual date on it. Yeah super complicated for real. The rest was done through PicMonkey.com which is a photo editing site that I LOVE and reccommend to anyone. It's free for basic things, and has updgrades for premium paying users. I use it for the basic editing and collage making. I guestimated on the size of the Save the Date and then went to Vistaprint to make the magic happen.
Vistaprint has the option to upload your own design, and so I adjusted the Save the Date to the correct size on PicMonkey which took a couple of tries before I got it the same size, and then uploaded it making sure it wasn't cropped in any weird places and that everything was centered.
For the back I tried to get the size of the Save the Date on Paint and pasted the color blue of our wedding then uploaded the blank blue jpg file to Vistaprint and added the font with text boxes so I could change the colors. Each individual line was a different textbox so I could adjust the size accordingly.
TIP: when you are making your back piece (if you decide to do it this way) make sure the whole image is very large so it doesn't look pixelated on the actual Save the Date card (mine did a little bit and it bothers me so just a heads up!)
I also decided to spice them up a little bit by buying grey envelopes off of Invitation Outlet since that is our second color, and got them for a pretty good price and then bought these adorable Save the Date stickers off the shop called Nice Package Design. They were a little pricey, but overall super cute and I think they added a little something to the presentation of the envelope.

So that's how I did it! Doing my Save the Dates myself saved me A LOT of money and I think they turned out awesome and had such a personal touch. What do you think? I am so excited to keep sharing more of our projects and experiences on the new Wifey Wednesday series. Hope you all had a fabulous Labor Day weekend!

Thanks for keeping up,
Olivia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment