Wednesday, July 30, 2014

#BookWorm: Heaven Is For Real

Hey fellow readers,

So I finished this book a while ago, but have not had the chance to post a lot lately with all the travels and I was finishing school and working full time and such, so here is my post about the book Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo. This book is about a little boy who has a near death experience and gets a glimpse of heaven. Before I read it, I thought it was going to be similar to The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom (which that movie FREAKED me out as a kid) where they say they go to heaven and its a different version than what Christian educated kids have learned about their whole lives. Well not really. According to the father of the child, AKA the author of the book, little Colton's description of what he saw was pretty darn close to what we have learned about. The book was very interesting, however there were things I liked and didn't like as usual. Since it was based on a true story, and written by the person who experienced it, it is hard to judge it because that is what happened and they are writing about what they think is important in their life. If I ever write an autobiography, I wouldn't want people who read it to say "I wish this was different or xyz had changed" because it's their life, they can't change it! Phew, well digress.

So I did like the book. I liked the fact that it was so honest, and the first 3/4 was super interesting as far as how Colton almost died and what led up to that. Then also exploring how the parent's felt going through the experience. After Colton described heaven a few times, it got kind of repetitive. He just kept bringing up heaven in random conversation and that is how the book made it seem, which made it kind of drag a little. I don't know how they could have changed it around to make it flow a little better, because they were writing it as it had actually happened, but it did make it a little long winded. I do wish they would have included more about what happened after, the introduction of their new child, and how they decided to write the book and such, but that's okay I just like to read about people's lives I guess. Maybe that is why I like to watch reality TV...

Anyways I haven't seen the movie yet, but really want to. If you haven't read the story, read it! It is super interesting! I would overall rate it about an 8/10 just because of how long winded it got, but the story really is good and I would recommend it to people. Have you read it? Or seen the movie? Or both? What do you think? I am reading Growing Up Duggar: It's All About Relationships now thanks to my awesome boss Beth. And now that I am done with school I have quite the updated list of books for fall that I will share with you all at the end of Summer! Hope you all are ready happily too! Share with me what books are on your list!

Thanks for reading with me,
Olivia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment