Monday, October 7, 2013

DIY: Halloween Costume Accesories

Hello everyone!

I am super excited to reveal my Halloween costume to you all next week after we go to Disney World :). This year Madi and I decided to be Peter Pan and Tinkerbell, and the costumes turned out so great! I bought my dress and wings, but I couldn't find a wand and shoes cheap enough to make me buy them. The cheapest shoes I found for adults were at least $25 (which is more than I paid for my dress and wings together). I found $7 children's patent leather flats on clearance that fit me at Target. I bought glitter, modge podge, a foam brush, and cotton poms on sale, both 40% off, for a total of $7. So total the project costed less than $15. That's a win in my opinion! Plus I only used like 1/6 of the glitter and 1/4 of the modge podge so I can totally use them again!

I started off cutting the bows that came on the shoes off. I kept the bows since they were in tact and who knows what I could use them for :). Next I combined the modge podge with a heaping amount of glitter and using that as my first layer. I tried not to make it too thick and got most of the area. Since my shoes were pink, I didn't want any of the pink showing through!

After that I let them dry, but there were still spots showing through. Many of the blogs I read stopped there, just adding a coat of the same glitter/modge podge combination to cover the spots, but I wanted these shoes to be SUPER sparkly, so I added a complete coat of just modge podge and dumped glitter on the shoes then shook off the excess glitter. Surprisingly, it worked super well! Even if some of the top glitter gets knocked off, the bottom and first layer will still be in tact, and I can always add another layer before my party if necessary. I also need to add the pom to the top of them still! But I couldn't resist posting :).

I had one last problem, I couldn't find a wand in a store that I liked enough, and I didn't want to pay for shipping or spend $25 online to get free shipping to order something off Amazon like I usually do. So this time I went over to the dollar store. All of their wands were more "fairy godmother" or "princessy" and I really wanted it to go with my costume. I found this baton toy for kids in the toy aisle, and realized I could take off the tinsel and cut it shorter with a knife or scissors to make it a better size and look more like a wand Tinkerbell would use. I think it will work well!


So I look forward to letting you see the whole outfit! Total I spend $30 for me and $20 for Madi! Not bad! Has anyone else ever made shoes like this? They really could be any color for any costume, and would make great ruby slippers if you used red glitter for Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz! Anyways, hope you have all have a great week!

Thanks for reading :),
- Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment