Sunday, August 28, 2016

#BookWorm: After You

Hello fellow readers,

Ugh the frustrations of After You by Jojo Moyes. After reading Me, Before, You and falling in love with it's story, characters, and moral questions, I heard there was a sequel called After You. I wasn't going  to read it, because you honestly can't get better than the first one. But my stupid curiosity got the best of me. Warning: If you didn't read the first book or see the movie, the rest of  this will be spoilers for Me Before YouIt didn't start off so bad, a lot of Lousia's new and exciting life in London after traveling the world and how she was dealing with losing Will. She goes through a hard time and then... a big surprise happens: Will has a daughter. You find this out within the first thirty pages or so. Like really Jojo Moyes? He has a secret kid? That's the best thing you could have thought of? Ugh. The rest of the book is about Lousia bonding with Will's daughter and trying to learn how to fall in love again.

The book in itself is good. But more unrealistic and frustrating. As a follow up to one of the best books I've ever read? Not great. Disappointing. I wasn't thrilled with it, and could have lived without reading it. 7/10 at best. Like I said as an original book on it's own I may have loved it more, but I didn't love it. It kind of seemed like a way for Moyes to give her fans of Me Before You some insight to how Lousia could go on after Will.

Have you read this sequel yet? What do you think? Am I being too hard on the author? As summer comes to an end and my favorite season fall begins, I've come up with another big pile of books to add to my ever growing list of books to read. Including Harry Potter and The Cursed Child which I have been holding off on reading due to having library books I have to read first. Keep giving me recommendations, I love it!

Thanks for reading with me,
- Olivia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment