Sunday, July 31, 2016

#BookWorm: The Light Between Oceans

Hello fellow readers,

I am so lucky to have found such great reads this summer! The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman was my most recent pick, as I had heard from many how good it was. Let me start off by saying yes, I enjoyed this book, however it was not what I expected. It took place back in the early 1900s in Australia. The main characters, Tom the lighthouse keeper and his wife Isabel, find a boat washed up to shore with a man and a baby inside. The man isn't alive, but the baby is. The book deals with their ethical dilemma of what to do with the baby, and why they have such a hard time deliberating on what to do. The book goes back and forth between their lives together, how they met, and when they found the boat. The plot kind of teeters off in the middle, constantly going back and forth between, should we keep this baby or not? So that got a little repetitive. Otherwise I liked the beginning and ending, but the middle was just the same thing happening to me.

Overall I think this writer is really talented. Their research on Australia was interesting, as I didn't know much of Australia's history or information about lighthouse keepers. The characters frustrated me, especially Isabel, but when you're reading there are times where you are feeling for everyone. Worth the read, but not as amazing as I had expected it to be. They are however making it a movie, which will be interesting and I think worth the watch. The movie is set to come out in the US in September 2016, but we will see how many theaters it appears in. Rating? 7/10.

Digging my way through stacks of books, I've come across some great ones this year and am excited for the rest of my stack to dwindle down if only for another reason to head back to the library again. I have a few good ones on my list coming up including All the Light We Cannot See and  After You (which made it's way onto my list per request of some DHTBB frequent readers so we will see ho it goes!) Have you read The Light Between Oceans? What were your thoughts?

Thanks for reading with me,
- Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment