Friday, September 18, 2015

DIY Fall Decor

Hello fellow crafters!

Fall is in the air, my friends! Since I am up in North Carolina now, and don't start my job for a few weeks, I have had lots of time to pin craft ideas on Pinterest to do for holidays and these two I loved! The first is a monogram pumpkin for your entryway and the second is a fall berry wreath. Michaels was having a great sale this week, so I got to it and completed both of these projects! Here are the steps to doing them and the final results! (And I threw in this adorable picture of Nike for your viewing pleasure. Ain't she the cutest thing ;). )

1. Monogram Pumpkin

What you'll need
- Fake craft pumpkin or real pumpkin
- Paint color of your choice
- Paintbrushes (variety of sizes and tip length)
- Monogram letter printed out
- Scotch or masking tape
- Scissors

Step One: Cut out the monogram letter, or letters, that you will be using on your pumpkin

Step Two: Tape the monogram to the pumpkin in certain spots so it lays as flat as possible.
--> TIP: Be careful not to press too hard so it won't will rip the paper or make the paper stick to the pumpkin when you take it off to trace where the tape was

Step Three: Trace the outline of the letter with a pencil

Step Four: Outline the letter with your choice of paint color and a thin tipped brush

Step Five: Fill in the spaces with the rest of the paint using your brush of choice

Step Six: Go over the outlines with a straight edge paintbrush and the paint to define the edges better.

Wallah! You have yourself a monogrammed pumpkin. Mine actually turned out WAY better than I had expected. I decided to use a craft pumpkin so that we can re-use it every year. Of course we will still carve our annual actual pumpkin. For this letter "F" I used the font Great Vibes as voted on by friends and family. This font is also one I used for our wedding invites and you can download it for free here.

There are lots of cute fonts to use for the monogram, however it is also hard to find a cute letter "F", just sayin'. I saw some adorable pumpkins with the first letter of the husband's name, the last initial and the first letter of the wife's name. I also saw some AWESOME pumpkins that were done with gold glitter. Some people did cream or white pumpkins for a different look. The options are endless! Pinterest has so many great ideas on it.

2. Fall Berry Wreath

What you'll need
- Wreath
- Berries
- Hot glue gun
- Scissors

Step One: Strategically place the berries so they are evenly dispersed with your wreath
--> TIP: have them all face the same direction around the wreath

Step Two: Cut off the end of the branch of your berries if they are too long to tuck within the wreath

Step Three: Tuck the berries in the wreath

Step Four: Hot glue areas which are sticking up too far or facing the wrong direction.

There you have it! This is a super simple wreath and you could do cute things like add a monogram to the middle with a thin wooden, painted letter or adding leaves into the mix also. I just liked the simplicity of the berries, giving it a festive-until-after-Thanksgiving look.
Nike was quite curious about this pumpkin

So there you have it! Some adorbz fall crafts that will make your doorway a little homier whether you live in an apartment or house! I am so proud of these two projects (as I am of most projects since I put so much effort into them) and I love that they are re-usable for each year! Do you have any tips or ideas for your own pumpkin or fall wreath? Share them with me and others in the comments below!

Since we are halfway through September already, I can feel that soon enough I will be sneaking out the rest of our fall and Halloween decorations into the Franek household. We also have our first visitors coming in October! My mom and Madi's sister! So we will be doing lots of fall festivities then and will share our adventures of course!

Thanks for crafting along with me!
- Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment