Monday, September 14, 2015

#BookWorm: Keeping Faith

Hello fellow readers!

Ahh the frustrations of this book. Keeping Faith was written by Jodi Picoult in 1999, so it is a bit older than most books I've been reading lately. When I was in Michigan, I spotted this book on the shelf and realized somehow I had missed reading it when I went through my Jodi Picoult binge reading phase. Now, I love Jodi Picoult. My favorite book Nineteen Minutes is written by her, and another one in my top list The Pact is also on her writing list. However, this book was frustrating. So, let's just dive right into the review, shall we?

Keeping Faith is about a seven year old girl who's parent's are going through a divorce and suddenly she starts performing miracles. Without giving away too much, she starts talking to God and sees her as female. That is the basic plot. The book is 500 pages long, and it feels like it. It definitely got to the point that you're saying "alright lets just find out what happens". The parts with the Rabbi and the Priest just made me so confused since I am not Catholic or Jewish. Lots of talk about the Vatican and how they determine if someone is actually seeing God or if they are faking, but lots of unanswered questions. Basically every person who interviewed Faith said, IDK. Like seriously a big bucket of IDK. Which is so annoying. And you get to the end of the book, and it leaves SO many things not answered. WHY. I hate that. Especially when it has to do with the main point of the book. I guess Jodi Picoult was trying to get you to decide for yourself based on your religious beliefs? But my beliefs won't change whether Faith was lying or Faith was actually performing miracles. Because the book is fiction.

All in all, this book gets a 7/10 for me. Not awful, some interesting parts, but got really long and didn't give us an answer! If you like Jodi Picoult's writing style of court rooms and character switching like I do, it is a read that you could enjoy. Just be willing to be okay with an ending that doesn't answer everything. Some things get answered. Some don't. Bleh.

So have you read this book? Were you as annoyed with the ending as me? Let me know! Next up I will be reading The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han. It's a three book series, and I purchased all three from McKays, so if I like it a lot I may just finish all of them at once and then post about it. We shall see :).

Thanks for reading with me,
- Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment