Friday, July 5, 2013

Pantene's Beautiful Lengths

Hey everyone!

I know in the past I have been a HUGE advocate for donating hair, and I have talked about it many times and how meaningful it really is to people who aren't able to have hair because of chemotherapy. Working with Moffitt and watching my mom go through chemotherapy has made me want to do it again. I want people to see how much it means. I want people to understand how amazing it makes those patients feel when they get to have some type of normalcy back through wearing a wig made out of REAL hair. Not fake noticeable animal hair. Fighting cancer is obviously something that I am so passionate about, and this is an easy way to help! This was my second time donating, and before I gave my 11" of hair to Locks of Love. This time I decided to give it to Pantene's Beautiful Lengths, because I'd heard more positive things about it and they accept 8" instead of 10". I ended up giving right around 10" anyways, and after the trim I lost a whopping 12" off my head today.

Let me just say that I was super hesitant about doing this a second time. The first time, I was ready. I had finished cheer, which had required a bow and pony tail for most of my life, and I was about to head off to college so I thought why not? Problem: it was NOT what I expected. While the first hair cut didn't look bad, it honestly was a HUGE shock watching that fall off of your head. Especially since I hadn't had hair shorter than my chest since I was in elementary school. After watching patients receive wigs, their faces lighting up like I have never seen. After watching my mom lose all of her hair in a matter of days, her demeanor changing forever. How could I have been so selfish? It's hair. It WILL grow back. You won't die, your world won't end. You will be fine. And you will be making a huge impact on other people! These experiences made me want to do it again. So I planned to during spring break this year. But after literally having nightmares from the last time I chopped off my locks, I decided to post pone til April, then May, then June. At my birthday I decided I needed to grow a pair and just do it already. I was being ridiculous. ITS JUST HAIR. Let me just remind you that the last time I got my hair cut was literally three years ago. THREE years. I have a small case of tonsurephobia, fear of getting your hair cut (yes that is a real thing lol), I sucked it up and went in. I'm not going to lie, afterwards I was impressed. Not as bad as I thought! I did end up with a total of 12" off when I had assumed I'd have around 9" off, but hey I was happy with the end result. And it will grow back.

Some of you may have read this post and thought, sheesh drama over a hair cut you are ridiculous Olivia, but maybe some of you have had this same fear when considering donating your hair. I'm telling you: its worth it. 100%. So hopefully I persuaded some of you who have been on the fence about doing it. Set yourself a timeline and stick to it.

First cut, 2010:

Today. 2013:

So that's all for today! I hope you like my new do ;)

-Olivia <3

No comments:

Post a Comment