Tuesday, July 23, 2013

My Random Addictions: Summertime Michigan Sweets

Hey readers,

This week while on vacation I went to the grocery store with my Grandma. I re-discovered that this time of year while I am in Michigan is when I want to many different sweet things! It's a problem. There are so many great things about Michigan, but high on the list is that they sell two of the best foods in grocery stores here that they don't in Florida, or at least no where near where I live. I decided to see if anyone else has discovered the two delicious northern treats or the others and love them as much as I do!

1. Superman Ice Cream
Of course you CAN find this in Florida, but for about $3-4 for a scoop. Ridiculous. Kilwin's  has the BEST (the closest to me is in SRQ on St. Armand's Circle), but you pay for it. In Michigan they sell it at the store! Not only in a quart size, but in a TUB. My mouth is watering just thinking about it lol. I'm not sure if they do in other northern states, but when I discovered about three years ago that they sell it here I was so happy. It's my favorite ice cream of all time. People tell me "it's nothing but food colored vanilla" but I swear there's a difference. If you haven't tried Superman ice cream, TRY IT. But make sure you aren't going anywhere important afterwards because it does turn your mouth and teeth completely blue :P

2. Rock and Rye Soda Pop by Faygo
Nothing beats when you are working hard in the yard or garden underneath the hot sun and come inside to an ice cold Rock and Rye. This soda is the BOMB. It's bright red and has way too much sugar, but it tastes heavenly. They used to sell it at Albertson's in Florida, but I haven't been able to find it in the past two years there (not to mention most of the Albertson's closed). Has anyone else ever heard of it? I know most people have had orange, lemon lime, or grape flavored Faygo but this is by far the top. Another treat that I get to enjoy while I am here in Michigan, and usually I buy I twelve pack to bring back with me :)


3. Ice Pops
I know they sell these sugar colored water sticks everywhere. You know that you put into the freezer and cut off the top? The plastic typically rips open your mouth while you eat it? Well they're delish. I have no idea why I find them so enticing, but I do. I always find the need to buy a bag while I'm here, yet no one else eats them and I can end up not eating half of them. These are everywhere, and if you've never had one, you need to.

So these are my favorite summertime treats when I'm on vacation! I always find a way to have at least one each day (which is bad but hey everyone needs a break). Now I'm going to go decide which one I'd like for dessert tonight!

Thanks for reading.
-Olivia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment