Monday, July 8, 2013

Manatee Excursion

Hello bloggers :)
This weekend our friends from TN are down to visit us in Tampa! While they were here Madi's mom decided to treat us to a visit with the Manatees up in Crystal River. It was such a fun an memorable experience! We set sail with the American Pro Diving shop, and our tour guide Zach was great! We headed out around 8:30AM, which meant that we left Tampa at 6:30AM. Not the most enjoyable time, but it was worth it! It took us a little while to find a social manatee to play with, around 45 minutes, but of course I used this time to take 45774377328 pictures ;). 

Once we did find a social guy, our tour guide dived in and made sure he was a social guy before letting all of us jump in and join. He led us up to the manatee in pairs, and the water was sort of murky, so we couldn't really tell how close we were to the bottom or to the manatee. Once in the water we realized it was only about 3 feet deep, and the highest was around 6 feet, which made us feel way more comfortable! The manatee was super social and had some scarring on his body, which is unfortunate, but with the murky water it made it easier to see him.
 I bought a lifeproof case for my iPhone to take pictures in the water. I was SUPER nervous about this, because I don't have great luck with phones, but it worked wonders and I got so many good clear pictures that I wouldn't have been able to get with a disposable camera! The experience was awesome, and it made me want to do this again with more animals! 


Well that's it for now! I am starting up a new blog series called My Random Addictions that I'll start posting soon! 

Thanks for reading!
- Olivia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment