Saturday, May 14, 2016

DIY: Simple Monogram Door Decor

Hello everyone,

This past weekend I took a trip to Michaels, which of course can be dangerous. They have so much cute home decor there that you can do yourself or that is already ready to use. Since Madi was in Washington D.C. with the basketball team he helps coach, I spent Saturday night catching up on TV and crafting! I was inspired by a few spring/summer door decor items on Pinterest, and here is what I came up with for our front door!

What you'll need:
- Scissors
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- Burlap or thick ribbon
- Wooden letter
- Sponge brush
- Your choice color of paint

First I made the burlap bow. I found this adorable lace lined burlap at Michaels, normally $5 but was on sale 80% off! I got eight feet of this adorable burlap for $1!

Step One: Cut the burlap and make a loop as shown below.
Step Two: Next cut another flat loop

Step Three: Cut a long strip of the burlap down the middle, almost all the way to the top and add that to the back of the bow. This is what your wooden letter will hang on.

Step Four: Pinch the two at the middle and tie a small loop of burlap or string tightly around to make the bow shape come together.

Step Five: Cut another strip of burlap to put around the string.

Step Six: Next step is to paint your wooden letter whatever color you want. I've seen some people do designs on it like chevron or paisley, but I wanted mine plain and simple. Let your letter dry, then attach to the long tails with hot glue. Hold tight to ensure a good seal.

Step Seven: Glue a loop on the back of everything for your door decor to hang on your wreath hanger.

TIP: You can add more tails to your bow if you want, or more loops, whatever you think looks best, but make sure you look at it first before you glue to be sure you like it!

So what do you think? You can make it more fancy, more colorful, use different ribbons, etc. There is a good variety! This is an inexpensive project, I spent less than $10 total since I already had everything at home except the burlap, letter, paint, and sponge brush. Michaels 50% off and 40% off coupons are the bomb.com.

Thanks for keeping up with me,
- Olivia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment