Sunday, May 1, 2016

#BookWorm: The Lovely Bones

Hello fellow readers,

Happy May! This weekend I finished reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Oy. This book. So I remember when the movie came out in 2009. I was in high school and a few people in my grade read it and went to see the movie. The cast was pretty good: Mark Wahlberg, Stanley Tucci, and Susan Sarandon to name a few stars involved. I put it on my list to read and then see, but time got away from me and I totally forgot about it. That is, until I ran upon the book in Edward McKays in Raleigh this year. So I gave it a whirl.

This book's premise is about a little girl Susie Salmon who was murdered and is now up in her heaven watching the mystery of her death unfold below her on earth. Only a few pages into this book you know who murdered her, her neighbor, and you know how he did it. The rest of the book is spent going back and forth between past and present happenings of Susie and her family's life. The first half of this book, great! Captured my attention. After that it got a little long winded. And the end was super anti-climactic. Not the worst book ever, but not that great either. It took me weeks to finish the second half because I would fall asleep after about ten pages each night. The struggle was real guys. As usual I am curious to see the movie and compare the two. Maybe they will leave out some of the odd parts towards the end. Rating overall? 6.5/10. It was just ehh. Don't understand how it was a national bestseller.

Next up on my list is The Girl On the Train by Paula Hawkins, which will be coming to theaters in October. Emily Blunt plays the main character, which makes me want to go see it even more because she rocks. So have you read or seen The Lovely Bones? What did you think? Is the movie worth watching?

Thanks for reading with me,
- Olivia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment