Monday, June 30, 2014

#BookWorm: Dear John

Hello readers,

I told you I was whipping through books! So I finished Dear John. Ahh so many feels. It was actually way better than I had anticipated. I broke my own rule a long time ago by seeing the movie opening weekend in 2010, so I knew the premise of the story and some of the events. However, I couldn't remember if the ending was cliche or not. While at my favorite place last summer, McKay's Used Books in Chattanooga, TN, I found a copy for cheap and decided to buy it. I just now got to reading it as there were books way higher on my priority list last year, AKA the whole Divergent Series. So back to the book.

I love Nicholas Sparks, so if you don't you probably won't like this book. If you are the type of person who is like "ew Nicholas Sparks love stories not for me" they aren't all just mushy love stories. He does a great job making the background story super interesting and in the end it all connects so well. Also if you have seen the movie Dear John, don't write off the book like I almost did. When I saw the movie, I thought it was alright. I love Channing Tatum but didn't care for Amanda Seyfried at the time so I wasn't a huge fan. Now I actually would like to see it again to make comparisons. The book's plot line was as you imagined: an army boy falling in love with a small town girl (living in a lonely world). Sorry had to. Anyways that is the general idea, but I love how Nicholas Sparks adds in a lot about the military life and the point of view from the guy. I do wish we had more of an insight from the female in this books, but overall I enjoyed it a lot more than I had expected! Overall I would give this book an 8/10. I didn't like certain things about the book like the lack of female perspective and some of the plot, but I definitely would recommend it. Also while reading, I flipped open to the front and noticed it was signed by none other than Nicholas Sparks himself, which is awesome! He came to USF around Valentine's Day for a University Lecture Series, but unfortunately I had to work so this made me so happy that I have a signed copy!

Anyways, have you ever read Dear John or seen the movie? Or both? What did you think of the book? Better, worse, the same? I'd love to hear!

Thanks,
- Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment