Saturday, November 11, 2017

#BookWorm: More Than It Hurts You

Hello fellow readers,

Image result for More Than It Hurts YouWow. This book took me a long time to get through. What has it been, like almost two months? For some reason More Than It Hurts You by Darin Strauss looked super intriguing to me. Maybe because it has medical issues in it? I guess that's why. The plot is about the Goldin family, Josh, Dori and their infant son Zack. One day Josh gets a call that his son has been brought to the emergency department, and after a long night of trying to figure out what is wrong, they decide to take him home against medical advice. Not long after, police cars are chasing them, claiming that the family is harming the baby. Claiming Munchhausen's syndrome by proxy.  The rest of the story follows the Goldins and Dr. Darlene Stokes, a young African American doctor at St. Jude's in Long Island, NY. The plot thickens when you find out about Darlene's past and what she has done with it in the present time.


The first 100 pages of this book were dull and hard to keep up with. The first section that is written from the perspective of "Intelligent Muhammad" (an ex-convict) was very hard for me to read because of the grammar and language. Obviously the author was trying to make it fit the part, but it was super drawn out, long, boring, and somewhat unimportant. Once you got through the first 100 pages, it got better. More interesting to read and understand. However, the end of the book was kind of disappointing. Not a Gone Girl disappointing, but still disappointing nonetheless. It was interesting to read from a medical perspective, because it makes you realize how insane some people are and how sometimes when you act in a patient's best interest, it doesn't always help the patient and can make things worse. Overall I'd say its about a 6/10. Not the worst book I've read, but definitely not the best.

With the holidays approaching, I have a feeling that I won't have very much free time to read. However I have so many books that I want to dive into that my big stack might motivate me. It's hard being an adult with a real job. When I was in undergrad, I thought I never had any free time. What a joke. College kids enjoy your free time! Read as many books as you can! High school kids you have even more free time so same goes to you! I'll be posting some of my holiday DIYs this year, and keep trying to get through some good books to share with you all. Had anyone else read More Than It Hurts You? Or anything by Darin Srauss? I'm curious to see thoughts. Chang and Eng looked interesting but not sure how much more time I want to invest in this author considering this book wasn't all that amazing. I recently saw a tweet from one of my favorite authors, Sarah Dessen, who said that sometimes she has to shut a book if she's a couple dozen pages in and hates it because life is short and you should read things you love and not waste time on books you start and have to drag yourself to finish, I feel like she may have a point there... Happy reading!

Thanks for reading with me,
- Olivia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment