Sunday, April 9, 2017

{Real Talk}: 13 Things I Think About 13 Reasons Why

A few hours ago I finished the new Netflix series 13 Reasons Why and I have a few things to say about it, thirteen to be exact. If you're wondering what I'm talking about, this is a new Netflix series based off the book I finished most recently by the same name, read my blog post about that to see what 13 Reasons Why is if you haven't heard of it already. If you haven't seen 13 Reasons Why and plan on watching it or haven't read the book and still want to, stop here and come back and read this once you have done both because there will be spoilers. Here are the thirteen things I think about the Netflix series 13 Reasons Why. 
1. The TV Series is incredibly different from the book. 
Like the fact that it is "based on the book" is a loose term in this case. The 13 people are the same, Hannah kills herself, there are tapes, and that is about where the similarities end. In the book, Clays and Hannah's parents are not prominent characters. There is no law suit. Clay listens to the tapes all in one night. Even the way that Hannah kills herself is different. So. Different. 

2. I think the TV Series is good as it's own thing. 
This series answers questions you have when reading the book. Like what happens after Clay gets the tapes? What happens when he goes back to school? What happens with Jessica? Does she ever realize what happened to her the night of the party? Do Hannah's parents ever find the tapes? But it kind of is it's own story.

3. I think the worst character in the TV show out of everyone is the obvious choice: Bryce.
The scary part is, there are people just like him out in this world. And the people like him will never watch this show or read this book unless it's required of them. And I still don't know how I feel about it being required reading or required watching for teenagers.

4. Courtney is a stupid brat.
Like really? Your parents are gay? And you're afraid coming out to them will make it all cliche and they'll have a hard time with it. Get over yourself you stupid jerk. 

5. Tyler is a perve/stalker but...
Hannah is kind of a total biotch to him... Even though he shouldn't stalk people ya know that's what they're trying to get at. But then he tells her he loves her and she is a complete jerk to him about it. That part made me mad. Practice what you preach Hannah. Because in the end I'm still trying to figure out if Tyler killed Alex/is going to blow up the school/has a hit list. SO MANY UNANSWERED QUESTIONS NETFLIX?!

6. Where was Kat this whole time?
Like really you're her "BFF"? Did you guys ever talk? Clearly not. 

7. Why does no one pay attention to Justin and the fact that he is in the crappiest living situation ever?
Why is the guidance counselor not more involved with that one? Gosh darn I hate that guidance counselor. Justin is an ass I get it but really?

8. Tony, you are a liar and I hate you.
I don't know why everyone is all "OMG TONY YOU'RE A GUARDIAN ANGEL I LOVE YOU." No! He literally told Clay you are the reason Hannah killed herself. Then you start the next episode and Hannah literally says Clay doesn't belong on these tapes. Netflix, do a better job of making a stupid cliffhanger (even though I already knew that was going to happen unless they were going to change Clay's tape). I liked Tony's book character way better. 

9. Clay and Hannah were WAY closer in the TV series that what was depicted in the book. 
The fact that Clay and Hannah are BFFs in the TV series does make me blame him more than in the book. That was a big change.

10. I think the message of this show gets lost in the drama of it all. 
I think what Selena and the producers and the author were going for is: your actions matter. The consequences one small action may cause are way greater than you can imagine. For example, the hot or not list. Just a joke right? Wrong. But this honestly gets mixed up and as I said about the book, I'm afraid teenagers who have had issues like rape or abandonment or abuse will look at this show and say, see there is no way out I have to kill myself. That is wrong. 

11. This series addresses super important issues that aren't talked about a lot and aren't taken seriously enough. 
If you bring up the word rape, most people change the subject. If you bring up the word suicide, people get weird. Because it's hard to talk about. But if someone tries to talk to you about it, listen. A lot of people think this show is "too graphic" about both of these subjects. The rape scenes are realistic. So is the suicide scene. I actually had to turn my head because I could not handle watching Hannah cut herself. It's all too real for people who are close to someone who has attempted these things. Luckily the person I know who did was unsuccessful. But I can still hear the screams and sobbing in my head from my real life dealing with these things. And seeing the scars on that persons arm every time I'm with them. It's real guys. The show depicts it pretty well from my experience with it. And it's painful to watch. It should be. Otherwise it wouldn't be real. 

12. Suicide is a CHOICE.
So please, understand that there is another choice. There are people out there that care about you. Even if the world feels empty. If you feel like you're about to make this choice, or even just thinking about it, get help. Which leads to my next point.

13. This show misses an important target. 
Not once does it mention how to get help. It doesn't show Hannah finding a way to get help. Or anyone else being told about getting help. It shows Hannah struggling to ask for help from her guidance counselor who was a total idiot in my opinion. It doesn't start any episode or the series with a hotline number or advice for if this is you. I know there is that extra Netflix thing you can watch, but this should be included in the series just like Teen Mom includes the itsyoursexlife.org site on every episode. If you need help, there is a way out. There are people who will listen. It gets better. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255.

What did you think of both? If you watched and have no intention of reading, did you even like it? I'm curious to hear people's thoughts. 

- Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment