Tuesday, June 30, 2015

{Real Talk}: Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Hey everyone!

I've noticed July 1st has become a time of reflection for me. It is the beginning of a new fiscal year at telefund and Moffitt when everything restarts. It's the middle of summer break for Madi. It's also the day my Grandma passed away last year. It always causes me to look back and therefore look forward but especially this year.

In case you haven't heard yet: were moving. It's a good thing, Madi got into Duke University for his Doctorate of Physical Therapy degree and it's a three year program. When he first got in: I was ecstatic for him! He worked SO hard and we had always talked about moving out of state to a new place "one day". We had talked about living where there are seasons "one day". We had talked about getting married "one day". And how cool would it be to go to Duke "one day"? And then he got in. And all the excitement hit us so fast, this is an amazing opportunity, how could he turn it down? 

Now "one day" is quickly approaching. Since it is freaking amazing and I am so incredibly proud of him for getting into Duke and we talked about all of this in context over our seven year relationship, I didn't realize it would also hit me so hard that we are leaving the one place we've been basically forever. We're leaving both of our families, a lot of our friends, my amazing job, in state tuition, and a lot of memories behind. It's not as easy of a transition as I thought it would be the day we heard he was accepted, but that being said I wouldn't want to do it with anyone else. 

It is exciting and it is still just as amazing of an opportunity. And it is good timing: no kids, newly married. It's just harder than I thought it would be to pick up and leave this place. I don't deal well with change, although I've encountered huge changes throughout my life especially in the past ten year. I HATE moving, not just because it's annoying AF to pack and physically move things but it also is a big change. You get comfortable, and I was definitely comfortable here in this stage of life: dream job, close but not on top of family, living in a place for two years without moving. 

And then I remembered the verse Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever" and I was like wow that's one thing that doesn't change. One thing that has always been consistent in my life when everything else has failed. Definitely a solid point to focus on. I kind of needed to take a step back and be like okay maybe change is okay. Even though right now it seems impossible to live so far from family, leave the job I love, but this is where were at in life. I'm sure some people who moved for school before or are moving super far from family now are like wow olivia you're making this a huge deal when Durham isn't even that far. I get it, but it has been something I have struggled dealing with. 

You know how I talked about how "one day" turned into now? There's a pretty cool quote from One Tree Hill, a show I love, that I posted below and it is so true to my life.

So that's all for now, just wanted to share some of what's been going on over here!
- Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment