Wednesday, July 26, 2017

#BookWorm: Before I Fall

Hello fellow readers,

As most of you know, one of my favorite things is reading books before they become movies. Which is why I picked up the book Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver in the first place. I heard about the book a long time ago, but only remembered adding it to my list once I heard that it was becoming a movie. And honestly? The movie came and went from the theater so fast that it made me question if it was even worth reading. But of course I did, which is why you're reading this post now! This book's plot reminds me of Groundhog Day, the main character Samantha Kingston dies in a car accident and relives the same day seven times. Each time she discovers something new about how the accident occurred, but also something new about herself. It reminded me of a mix between If I Stay and Mean Girls to be honest. The whole time you're trying to figure out what happened with her, but you're also like man this girl is mean. And so are her friends. Regina George style mean. I feel like in my high school the girls weren't really that mean... but maybe they were and I just wasn't getting slammed on like these people? I don't know, somehow I don't always connect with these books or movies like it because I don't understand that lifestyle at all. The party all the time, get wasted and get high lifestyle. It was never tempting or appealing to me so when I read books like this sometimes I just don't get it.

Anyways overall I thought the plot was interesting, and it did keep me guessing the whole time about what happened. There were some predictable things and some not so predictable things. The ending wasn't amazing, but it wasn't terrible either. Sometimes I read these books and I'm like "wow typical" and this one had some elements like that but others that were pretty suspenseful. Overall I think I would give it a 7/10. Good, but don't put it on the top of your list to read. This wasn't as good as If I Stay, as the two have been compared to being similar like I said earlier. I saw the movie recently while in Florida and thought it was a very different depiction than the book. Same themes but not quite the same vibe that I as getting in the book. I also haven't heard anyone talk about this movie, so has anyone seen it? And if so did you like it? Did you read the book beforehand? Thoughts on both if you did? Let me know, I'd love to hear!

Thanks for reading with me,
- Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment