Sunday, June 18, 2017

#BookWorm: Extraordinary Means

Hello fellow readers!

While on vacation a few weeks ago I finished up a YA book called Extraordinary Means by Robyn Schneider. I picked this book from my stack because it seemed like a quicker read for vacation and also had an interesting plot. A boy named Lane catches tuberculosis and is sent to live at Latham House, a modern day sanatorium for multi drug resistant TB. While there he meets new friends, Nick, Charlie, Marina, and Sadie who have all been living at Latham house for various amounts of time. They struggle with the hope for a cure and with how to spend their daily lives at Latham house. 

I think for me the most interesting part of this book was that places like this really existed, and how did people deal with re-entering the real world when isoniazid was found after being trapped so long in isolation? Obviously this book is fiction, but it does have interesting points that I think a lot of my cancer patients deal with also. People walking by you hear a cough and panic like they're going to catch it and your own family afraid to come around because they don't want to get sick from you. Dealing with that all the time would make me crazy especially because people don't understand diseases all the time. 

Anyways, the book was a quick and interesting-to-me read but also semi predictable. The ending came quickly and all of a sudden I was like "oh that's it?" I would have liked to read more about what happened beyond Latham House for each character. I would say 8/10 for rating. Has anyone else ever read this book or one of Robyn Schneider's other books? Let me know how you like her writing. I'm going to keep going down my list of ever growing books! But I've been kind of going out of order based on if the book is going to be made into a movie soon or if I have a certain desire to read one thing vs another. But I have been adding everyone's suggestions to my list.

Thanks for reading with me,
- Olivia 

No comments:

Post a Comment