Wednesday, September 23, 2015

#BookWorm The Summer I Turned Pretty Series

Hey fellow readers!

Well that didn't take me long. I read all three books in The Summer I Turned Pretty series in a week. Kind of sad, because it shows how much time I have on my hands, but it wasn't like they were a super complex read. The author's name is Jenny Han and the series was on the New York Times Bestselling list (all three books). That's pretty impressive for a YA romance series. I found out about this book from the "other items people bought" section on Amazon when I would look at Sarah Dessen books. I was intrigued, and ended up finding the whole series at my favorite used bookstore McKays this summer for about $12 total. Easy enough decision for me!

The premise of this series is about a girl named Isabel (Belly) who goes to a summer house every year with her mom and brother Steven. There they meet up with another family of two boys, Conrad and Jeremiah, and a mother Susannah. Both families are going through tough times, but have known each other forever. Belly has always had a crush on the older brother, Conrad, but starts to see the younger brother, Jeremiah, in a new light. However she is about to turn sixteen and has become more beautiful since the previous years which consisted of her awkward stages and so more boys start to notice her. This is really a coming-of-age book for Belly and was definitely relate-able for me. I think everyone hits that stage in their life where boys start to notice them more often. Overall I would give the series a 8/10. To be fair, it was a very easy read, however it kept my attention and I really wanted to know what happened next. Honestly, I was very turned off when I first read the description of this book because the main character's name is Belly and I thought that was kind of odd. But you know what they say, don't judge a book by it's cover! If you like Sarah Dessen's work, this author writes pretty dang well and I like her style so I think you would enjoy this series.

Up next on my list is a new series called The Testing. I only own the first book of this one, so I will have a harder time flying through it quite as quickly as I did with this read, however I have heard it compared to a mix between the popular Hunger Games, Maze Runner, and Divergent series, so I look forward to being able to start another trilogy that has potential to become super popular in a few years. So what else is everyone reading lately? Have you read The Summer I Turned Pretty? Let me know!

Thanks for reading with me,
- Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment